Mother’s Day is coming up on May 13th.
Don’t miss the 3rd largest retail holiday of the year!
Americans spend over $21 Billion on Mother’s day, with average spending at $172 per person (see the stats here). Shoppers buy gifts not only for their own mothers but also for other women who are mothers, including grandmas, daughters, sisters, relatives, friends, and coworkers.
Spending info data from TheShelf.com
More than 85 million women in the US are mothers, and more than 8 out of 10 Americans will celebrate Mother’s Day this year. At TeeChip, we are here to help you take advantage of this huge opportunity.
PRO TIP – Have customers order by April 30 so orders will arrive in time for Mother’s Day on May 13th.
Mother’s Day buying trends
As you see in the graph below, Mother’s Day shopping starts very early, as much as 1 month earlier. This purchasing behavior is similar to larger holidays like Christmas instead of last-minute purchase holidays such as Valentine’s Day. On Mother’s Day, people spend more on gifts than any other category, making this holiday a perfect opportunity for increased sales.
Bing Research Mother’s Day Searches in April and May
Upcoming international dates for Mother’s Day
Although May 13 is the most common day for Mother’s Day, there are several other Mother’s Day dates around the globe that you won’t want to miss.
May 6 – Angola, Cape Verde, Hungary, Lithuania, Portugal, Spain, Mozambique, Romania
May 8 – South Korea
May 10 – Mexico, El Salvador, Guatemala
May 13 – Most countries (including the U.S.)
May 12-26 – Benin, Paraguay, Kyrgyzstan, Israel, Poland
May 27 – Algeria, Bolivia, Cameroon, Dominican Republic, France, Madagascar, Haiti, Mauritius, Mali, Morocco, Niger, Senegal, Sweden, Tunisia
For more specific Mother’s Day dates in 2018, you can visit ClareFlorist.co.uk.
You can target different segments on Mother’s Day
- New moms who have had a baby recently
- Fathers/husbands buying gifts for their wife to celebrate the motherhood in their home
- First-time moms
- Anyone who wants to thank their mother (this can be further broken down into specific age demographics such as teenagers, college-aged, adult)
- Individuals buying gifts for any admired mother in their life. For example: grandma, stepmom, sister, daughter, relatives, friends, and colleagues
- Moms buying gifts for themselves
Design ideas for Mother's Day
Here are few potential design ideas that can help you launch your campaigns for this year’s Mother’s Day:
Mom & baby combo
Design products that celebrates the unique bond that a mother and child share. For example, matching t-shirts and onesies for moms and their babies.
Women who love animals
Who doesn’t like cute animals? Create products that will highlight motherly love and affection.
You can use also inspiration from the mothers of “fur babies”. For example, ‘Pitbull Mom’ or ‘Proud Kitten Mom’.
Working moms can be extremely busy juggling their job and kids. Use your creativity to demonstrate how kids or families are thankful for their mother’s love and affection.
Celebrating all women on Mother’s Day
Amazing women touch many parts of our daily lives. Mother’s Day is a day to thank every woman – be it your grandmother, wife, sister, daughter, godmother, stepmother, friend, or any other relationship.
Other creative ideas
(1) New moms and moms-to-be: A mom’s first Mother’s Day is an important occasion
(2) Moms with hobbies or who are supportive of their kids’ hobbies (e.g. Soccer moms, Dance moms)
(3) Mom pride: Some kids love to share their respect for their mom (e.g. “Mom, you were right”, “Momma’s Girl”)
… and more! Use your creativity to celebrate Mother’s Day.
Call-to-action ideas for Mother's Day ads
If your products are intended as gifts to mom:
- Searching for something that’ll make Mother’s Day extra special this year? Give a gift she’ll treasure this Mother’s Day.
- The mother of your child is truly a special woman. Make her feel loved this Mother’s Day by giving her these amazing gifts. Get a Mother’s Day discount of [xx%]!
- Show your Mom just how much you love her with some fun, mother’s day merchandise. Limited Mother’s Day offer! Buy today and get a [xx%] discount!
Rush order shipping CTA’s
- Mother’s Day is just around the corner – don’t miss your chance to celebrate her. Place your order with rush shipping for just $2.99.
- Don’t miss Mother’s Day on May 13th! Give the gift that says #BestMomEver
If your products are for moms buying for themselves:
- Celebrate YOU this Mother’s Day! Buy these fab [shirts/mugs/bags] cuz you deserve it!
- Check out these adorable matching mom and baby outfits. Let the world see the best team there is this Mother’s Day!
- Calling all awesome moms. We have a special discount of [xx%] for you to celebrate this Mother’s Day.