Father’s Day is coming up on June 18th.
Take a piece of the $2 billion in apparel sales for this national holiday!
Americans are spending more than ever on Father’s Day. Last year, sales peaked at around $14.3B, or an average of $125.92 per person (see for yourself here). Even better news, clothing is the second largest gift category for Father’s Day purchases, with roughly 43% of consumers planning on buying clothes for the dads in their lives.
Data from Fundivo.com on Father’s Day shopping trends
There are 25 million fathers in the US, and more than 3 out of 4 American adults plan to celebrate Father’s Day this year. Online sales for Father’s Day are quickly on the rise, and we want to help you make the most of this popular holiday.
PRO TIP : Have customers order by June 5th to ensure orders arrive in time for Father’s Day on June 19th.
Father’s Day buying trends
As you can see below, “Fathers” or “Stepfathers” are the highest recipients of Father’s day gifts. However, a significant 28.4% of gifts are for husbands. Using “Dad” or “Father” in your designs is always a good start, but you can also experiment with other titles, such as “Husband/Hubby”, “Son”, “Grandpa”, or “Bro/Brother”.
NRF.com research data on recipients of Father’s Day gifts
Targeting tips for your Father’s Day campaigns
As a seller, it’s important to remember that your primary buyer demographic for Father’s Day is adult children and spouses. Men are traditionally less likely to purchase for themselves on Father’s Day. In fact, 2/3 of men in the US claim their clothes are chosen for them by their wife/partner (survey results here).
Other statistics to keep in mind:
- Women are twice as likely to buy a shirt for a Father’s Day gift than men
- 74% of women buy Father’s Day gifts compared to just 62% of men
- Ages 18-40 make up the bulk of Father’s Day spenders
Design ideas for Father's Day
Here are few potential design ideas that can help you launch your campaigns for this year’s Father’s Day:
Dad & kid duo
Wives love to see their husbands and babies in cute matching clothes. Get creative with some adorable looks they just can’t pass up.
What dad doesn’t love a good joke? You can’t go wrong with a goofy shirt on Father’s Day. Feel free to use a range of dad stereotypes: sports-fanatic, fart jokes, grill master, beer drinker.
With Independence Day shortly after Father’s Day, buyers will be in the market for both holidays. You can mix it up with more specific varieties: “Veteran Dad”, “Military Dad”, and “Proud Navy Dad”.
Remember, most of your marketing is aimed at adult children. Therefore, anything cute and sappy is fair game. Ideas include: “My Daughter Says I’m a #1 Dad” and “Alert. Awesome Step-Dad with an Awesome Step-Son”.
Men drink 3-4 cups of coffee per day more than women—clearly there’s a market for dad mugs. You can find mugs just about anywhere, so try designing for niche audiences such as “Pit bull Dad” or “Baby Daddy”.
Call-to-action ideas for Father’s Day ads
Children who are buying for dad
- Dads are hard to shop for. We’ve made it easy. Buy now and get [xx%] off your order!
- Skip buying another tie this Father’s Day and get a gift that’s made just for him.
- Don’t know what to get dad this Father’s Day? Give the gift he’ll wear for years to come.
- Gift cards are great, custom shirts are better. Make this Father’s Day one to remember with unique, dad-friendly gifts.
- Don’t have a gift yet for Father’s Day? Fear not, this shirt is sure to win him over.
Wives and partners buying for their husband
- Let your special guy know just how much you appreciate him. Buy now before it’s too late.
- For the man who’s more than just a husband. Limited-time Father’s Day offer.
- Husband. Friend. Partner. Dad. Any man with so many titles deserves the perfect gift. Shop now and get [xx%] off your order.
- Bring a smile to his face this Father’s Day with a gift that’s just for him. Because he’s more than a husband, he’s a dad.
General call-to-actions for Father’s Day ads
- Get a Father’s Day gift for that special dad in your life. Buy within the next 24 hours and get xx% off!
- We’ve made Father’s Day shopping even easier. Get the perfect gift for the perfect dad. Limited-time offer!
- Get something this Father’s Day that shows you’re thinking about him. Limited-time offer, buy today before time runs out!